What Is a Night Person?
A Night Person is an individual whose natural body rhythms are such that he or she is most active and alert during the evening and night and is least active and alert during the pre-dawn and daytime hours.
You Know You're a Night Person If...
- Sunrise comes as an unpleasant surprise.
- You call someone on the phone to just chat and discover that they've been asleep for six hours.
- You do your best work at 2 a.m.
- You finally force yourself to go to bed at 1 a.m. and then keep having brilliant ideas that you have to get up and write down.
- People who are perky or sharp in the morning appall you---and can run rings around you before noon, too.
- Birds start singing about the time you fall asleep.
How to Meet Other Night People
Pleasures of Being a Night Person
Being a Night Person gives you some great advantages. Here are a few:
- Night shopping
- When you're on-line after midnight, your computing is faster---traffic is down and sever loads are lighter. Also, the sysop is probably bored enough to WANT to answer your questions, help solve your problems, and just chat.
- If you are fortunate to get a night job, you may be paid more than a Daytimer who does the same job during the day.
Strategies for Dealing with a Daytime World and the Tyranny of the Day People
- If you DO get a night job, and your employer wants to pay you more than he would pay a Daytimer to do the same job while the sun's up, DON'T tell your boss that working at night is not exactly a hardship for you. It's so rare that we get any kind of concessions to make up for what the Daytime Tyrrants do to us all our lives that you should keep your mouth shut and count your blessings while they last.
What Science Says
There are a few things you can do tonight to make your life amidst the Daytime Tyrants easier.
For the Daytime Friends and Loved Ones of Night People
This is information designed to help Daytimers cope with us Night People. Give it to your friends and loved ones who happen to be Daytimers---it may help keep them your friends and loved ones. Remember, they get just as irritated with your noctural nature as you do with their daylight nature. There are ways to reduce the stress.
Night Art, Night Sounds, and Night Sights
Share Your Thoughts
Suggestions? Additions? Comments? Use this form or, if your browser does not support forms, e-mail Nightstar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This site has started to elicit comments from Night People who surf in during the "wee hours." Some of them have made suggestions for additions to the material here. Many thanks to them!
|To be notified by e-mail when the contents of this page change, paste its URL into the URL-minder and complete the rest of the form.